To hunter-gatherers arriving from what is now Europe and the British Isles after the last glacial and Mesolithic periods the bountiful river Avon valley was paradisiacal. Not far from the henge, arose Britain's first settlement, Blick Mead.
The inhabitants were sustained by the abundant waters, hunted aurochs, observed the celestial bodies, buried their ancestors, and built Stonehenge. To behold this megalithic monument to early human ingenuity up close with an expert guide will make for the most memorable day out.
We will have plenty of time to wander around the stone circle, take amazing photos, and discuss who, what, when, why, and how it was created.
In Salisbury we can see the spires of the cathedral as well as go inside and see the best preserved version of Magna Carta and other treasures. We can also walk the cobblestone streets of this quintessentially English village and if you fancy it we can also find a superb pub for sup, climb the Spires, go inside the Salisbury museum or visit Old Sarum.
7 People Max.
20 £ - Pub lunch, snacks or souvenirs
- Meet and greet at your address in London (or at the airport/port)
- Drive about 2 hours through some lovely English countryside to Stonehenge
- Get some light refreshment at the Stonehenge cafe whilst I collect our entry tickets
- Explore the exhibition at the visitors' centre where one can get an idea of the terrain, timeline and see the prehistoric artefacts on display
- Take a 5 minute shuttle, or 25 minute walk, to the UNESCO World Heritage site
- Walk around, discuss, and take photographs
- Drive about half an hour to Salisbury where we can have a superb pub lunch and see the Magna Carta inside the cathedral and climb the spires
- We can also see the Salisbury museum which contains many prehistoric artefacts or visit Old Sarum nearby.
- After our tour we can return to London after a 2 hour drive or onto Southampton.
What is Included
Other: Admission to Stonehenge and donation to Salisbury cathedral
Guide books and multiligual audio guides (if required),
What is Additional
Food, Drinks, Snacks
Meeting Point Options:
Your hotel or address in London, all London airports and ports.
Other meeting points outside of London can be arranged prior to booking.
The duration of this tour will depend on your exact pick - up location and time at Stonehenge and Salisbury.
If you would like to visit other nearby prehistoric sites such as Avebury, Windsor, Winchester, Oxford, Bath we can customise/extend this tour at the time of booking.
Pick ups and returns outside of London can also be arranged for extremely reasonable prices. Please contact me to customise this or any other tour.