To migrating hunter-gatherers, arriving from what is now Europe after the last glacial and Mesolithic periods, the bountiful River Avon valley was paradisiacal.
By an ancient spring close to the river arose Britain's first settlement, Blick Mead. Here the inhabitants were sustained by the abundant waters which made the land arable, attracted sacred aurochs, and could be used for transportation. They built Stonehenge nearby.
We will explore the Neolithic megalith, take some monumental photos and have plenty of time to wonder at early human ingenuity up close with an expert Stonehenge guide.
On our way back we will drive a different way through the Thames Valley and Windsor Great Park to the picturesque village of Windsor. Here we can have a late pub lunch if you fancy it. Inside Windsor Castle we will see the delightful gardens, discuss the history, varied architecture, as well as the art that is part of the Royal Collection within the State Apartments. We will also go inside the Gothic St George's chapel.
7 People Max.
25£ - Snacks or pub lunch
- Meet and greet at your address in London, ideally departing between 7 am and 8 am to make the most of the day.
- Drive through the delightful English countryside to Stonehenge,
about a 2 hour drive away, arriving before it gets busy. Have some light refreshment whilst I gather the tickets.
- Go inside the exhibition centre to get an overview of the landscape, timeline and prehistoric artefacts on display.
- Take short shuttle, or 25 minute walk, to behold the megalith,
whilst walking around we can take monumental photos and talk more about the who, what, when, why and how Stonehenge was built.
- Drive to Windsor about an hour and a half away towards London stopping up 20 minutes for a coffee and charge pit stop.
- In Windsor we can have a pub lunch if desired, whilst I arrange the tickets.
- Enter by 3 pm and we will have avoided most of the crowds and will have well over an hour to see the the Royal collection within the State apartments as well as go inside St George's chapel.
- Drive to central London about 1 hour.
What is Included
Multilingual audio guides (if required) are also included.
Admission to Stonehenge and Windsor Castle is included in the price of this tour!
What is Additional
Food, Drinks, Snacks
Other: If we are on schedule we can have a splendid pub lunch in Windsor or Eton and the cost per person is about $30. There is also a cafe at Stonehenge if more time is desired there instead of the pub.
Meeting Point Options:
Your hotel or address in London, all London airports and ports.
Other meeting points outside of London can be arranged prior to booking.
The duration of this tour will depend on your exact pick -up location, traffic conditions, and the time spent at Stonehenge and Windsor.
To avoid rush hours and the crowds and make the most of the day it is best to start the the tour between 7 and 8 am so we can return to London between 5 and 6 pm.
This tour can be customised to include just Stonehenge and other nearby prehistoric sites, pick up and drop off at ports and airports, as well as other stops including Salisbury and Winchester.